Volunteers & Internships
Share our mission & make a difference as a Schiele Volunteer or Intern!
Schiele volunteers and interns play an essential role in sharing our exhibits, resources, and educational programming with the public. We are always looking out for dynamic and passionate people to help promote our mission of inspiring curiosity and understanding of science and the natural world.
In order to apply to volunteer with us fill out an application! All volunteers are required to complete an interview with the Volunteer Manager, MC Cox. Those 18+ applying will be subject to a background check in order to qualify to volunteer. Volunteers under the age of 18 will be required to provide 2 letters of recommendation along with their application and will need written consent from a parent or guardian.
Before you begin your application, you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Contact Information
- Idea of what area(s) you’d like to help (animal care, planetarium, marketing, etc.)
- What days & times of the week you’re available.
- Short paragraph about why you’d like to volunteer.
- Share any previous volunteering/work experience at The Schiele.
If you’re under 18 years of age, you’ll need:
- Contact information for your parent/guardian.
- Two letters of reference (from a teacher, coach, youth leader, etc.)
Fall Internship applications close August 31!
The Schiele’s internship program provides students with educational opportunities in the area of museum practice, research, and programming. Through guided work and research, Schiele interns participate in a structured learning experience using the museum’s resources. An internship at The Schiele is under the direct supervision of Schiele staff and may apply toward academic credit. Most interns work 15 to 25 hours a week and some choose to find a part-time job to help support their stay. Interns at the Schiele Museum of Natural History will support day to day operations that will vary based on your specific internship pathway.
All internships are to be completed in person. No virtual internships are available at this time.
The Schiele Museum of Natural History is located in Gastonia, NC and serves nearly 200,000 visitors in the Charlotte-Metro region annually. We are proud affiliates of the Smithsonian and ASTC. The Schiele Museum offers a wide variety of experiences from summer camps, science labs, Catawba Indian village, farm, digital planetarium, and more! The Schiele Museum of Natural History is committed to inspiring curiosity and understanding of science and the natural world through exceptional educational programs, exhibits, and research. We serve a varied audience including students on field trips, family outings, community partners through outreach, adult-only programs and workshops, families via summer day camps and organized youth organizations through camp-ins.
Part time and full time internships are offered at the Schiele Museum of Natural History. Part time opportunities are available in the summer, though preference will be given to full time applicants.
Full-time: 32 hours per week
Part-time: 12 hours per week
January – April (apply by November 30)
May – August (apply by March 31)
September – December (apply by August 31)
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old and currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a higher education facility, such as a community college, state college or university, or private university
- Ability to follow all Schiele Museum protocols, including COVID practices
- Ability and willingness to try new experiences within the museum
- Strong ability to work independently after sufficient training and experience
- Comfortable speaking in public and engaging with guests
- Strong communication skills
- Must carry a positive attitude
- Need to be willing to work weekends, holidays and occasional evenings
- This is an unpaid internship. No monetary compensation is available.
- Housing is available on-site, on a limited number, first-come, first-served basis for all interns across several departments at the Schiele Museum of Natural History.
- One-year membership to Schiele Museum and ASTC Travel Passport Program
- We support academic credit at your institution of choice
- Networking – making connections with other individuals in the museum
- Plenty of opportunities to customize your internship experience with special projects tailored to your interests.
- Food and transportation are not provided.
Types of Internships
Click on the internship for its specific overview, criteria & person of contact.
The Schiele Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/H
Offers of employment are contingent upon candidates meeting the essential functions of the position and passing a controlled substance evaluation prior to the employment. For some positions, physicals, driver checks, and polygraph evaluations are required. The Schiele Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Placement is based on ability and qualifications without regard to age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or disability. The museum ensures fair treatment in recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, discipline, and access to all museum sponsored programs.