Jobs & Internships
The Schiele Museum's mission of inspiring curiosity and understanding of science and the natural world starts with our educators! Join this dynamic staff & help us encourage education!
The Marketing Coordinator is responsible for developing and executing marketing plans and initiatives that will promote The Schiele Museum of Natural History throughout the region in accordance with organizational priorities and strategies. Uses independent decision-making and marketing expertise to build awareness of the organization’s brand and customer satisfaction. Responsible for overseeing the visitor’s first impression of the Museum through quality customer service and active engagement of visitors in person and via digital platforms. This position will be required to interface directly with the public via Museum and community events, exhibit openings, and through social media as well as work collaboratively with news outlets, corporate sponsors, and Museum staff.
A detailed position description can be found here.
To apply, please complete a Schiele Museum Application for the Museum Marketing position that can be found here.
Internships at The Schiele!
Fall Internship applications closed August 31!
The Schiele’s internship program provides students with educational opportunities in the area of museum practice, research, and programming. Through guided work and research, Schiele interns participate in a structured learning experience using the museum’s resources. An internship at The Schiele is under the direct supervision of Schiele staff and may apply toward academic credit. Most interns work 15 to 25 hours a week and some choose to find a part-time job to help support their stay. Interns at the Schiele Museum of Natural History will support day to day operations that will vary based on your specific internship pathway.
Please note all internships are to be completed in person. No virtual internships are available at this time.
The Schiele Museum of Natural History is located in Gastonia, NC and serves nearly 200,000 visitors in the Charlotte-Metro region annually. We are proud affiliates of the Smithsonian and ASTC. The Schiele Museum offers a wide variety of experiences from summer camps, science labs, Catawba Indian village, farm, digital planetarium, and more! The Schiele Museum of Natural History is committed to inspiring curiosity and understanding of science and the natural world through exceptional educational programs, exhibits, and research. We serve a varied audience including students on field trips, family outings, community partners through outreach, adult-only programs and workshops, families via summer day camps and organized youth organizations through camp-ins.
Part time and full time internships are offered at the Schiele Museum of Natural History. Part time opportunities are available in the summer, though preference will be given to full time applicants.
Full-time: 32 hours per week
Part-time: 12 hours per week
January – April (apply by November 30)
May – August (apply by March 31)
September – December (apply by August 31)
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old and currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a higher education facility, such as a community college, state college or university, or private university
- Ability to follow all Schiele Museum protocols, including COVID practices
- Ability and willingness to try new experiences within the museum
- Strong ability to work independently after sufficient training and experience
- Comfortable speaking in public and engaging with guests
- Strong communication skills
- Must carry a positive attitude
- Need to be willing to work weekends, holidays and occasional evenings
- This is an unpaid internship. No monetary compensation is available.
- Housing is available on-site, on a limited number, first-come, first-served basis for all interns across several departments at the Schiele Museum of Natural History.
- 1-year membership to Schiele Museum and ASTC Travel Passport Program
- We support academic credit at your institution of choice
- Networking – making connections with other individuals in the museum
- Plenty of opportunities to customize your internship experience with special projects tailored to your interests.
- Food and transportation are not provided.
Types of Internships
Click on the internship for its specific overview and criteria.
General Education (CLOSED)
Museum Live Animal Husbandry (CLOSED)
Planetarium Astronomy (CLOSED)
Planetarium Meteorology (CLOSED)
Please note any application not completed in its entirety may be rejected. An internship coordinator will contact you through email within 2 weeks of the application entry.
For general questions or concerns FOR INTERNSHIPS, please contact Hannah Salemi at 704.866.6913 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Schiele Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/H
Offers of employment are contingent upon candidates meeting the essential functions of the position and passing a controlled substance evaluation prior to the employment. For some positions, physicals, driver checks, and polygraph evaluations are required. The Schiele Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Placement is based on ability and qualifications without regard to age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or disability. The museum ensures fair treatment in recruitment, selection, training, compensation, promotion, discipline, and access to all museum sponsored programs.